Thursday, August 23, 2012

Flowers for Mom

This post is because as we have explored and visited various locations in southern California I several times remarked that mom would want to see the variety of flowers. I have no clue what these plants are for the most part but I was amazed at seeing trees and shrubs in bloom in August. To me, for the most part, those are spring bloomers. I'm not a great photographer, but thought I'd share a few of the blooming plants we have seen. The pale blue blooms are very dainty, petite and look strangely out of place on the shrub. While not a flowering plant at this point, this fern was just too cute to ignore. It was soft, almost fuzzy. This tree was beautiful and in many locations around the Biola campus. I didn't get very good pictures but was surprised by trees full of delicate blooms in August. Both of these plants were thick, almost shrub-like in appearance, about 1 foot high. I'm not sure if they were individual plants or not. These two are the same plant, the leaf growth was unusual and the blooms were very lily like. All four of the above were taken at the park surrounding the USS Midway and stood out. Okay, not a plant but a cool statue about 8 feet above the ground and moving in the wind. We were on Coronado Island at a park looking across to downtown San Diego. Again, not plants but a couple of photos of the amazing Coronado Hotel. This hotel built its own power plant, kiln for firing bricks, metal shop and foundry, laundry and telephone lines all before most of these services were available in San Diego. In fact, I learned that the hotel still does not only its own laundry but laundry for approximately twenty nearby hotels and motels. The woodwork was awesome and impressive. Bird of Paradise. I was amazed at how much like a fancy, colorful bird this flower looked. Don't think my pictures do it justice. And finally, there are lots of different succulents. This is one. Many weren't blooming but I was amazed at the variety of leaves. This had very delicate, mini-petaled blooms scattered across it. Enjoy, and know we are thinking of you all as we take in this new to us environment. Diane

1 comment:

Oma G said...

Very impressive! I can hardly wait to see some of them myself. Thank you so much for sharing. I recognize a few, but often can't remember the names. Some are annuals up here.